An Eastern Christian Perspective
This event has completed
Join us as we immerse ourselves in the study of Genesis, which St. Ephrem the Syrian called “the treasure house of the Ark, the crown of the Law.” With Saints Ephrem, John Chrysostom, Basil the Great & Gregory of Nyssa as our guides, we will dive deeply into the Sacred Word which created the world in the beginning.
Andrew Hayes, Ph.D.
Andrew Hayes is an Associate Professor of Theology and Division Dean of Liberal Studies at the University of St. Thomas in Houston. Specializing in asceticism, spirituality, and theological poetics particularly in Syriac patristics, he has published and presented on numerous Christian authors of the Near East, including St. Ephrem, Jacob of Serugh and Gregory Nazienzen. He received his Ph.D in Syriac Patristics & Christian Near Eastern Languages and Literature from Catholic University of America, and BA in Classical and Early Christian Studies from Christendom College.
- Handout on St. Ephrem
- Handout on St. John Chrysostom
- Handout on Sts. Basil and Gregory of Nyssa
- Hymns on Paradise by St. Ephrem the Syrian
- St. Ephrem the Syrian: Selected Prose Works (Vol. 91 of the Fathers of the Church Series)
- On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius
- The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God by Robert Louis Wilken
- Sanctified Vision: An Introduction to Early Christian Interpretation of the Bible by John J. O'Keefe and Russell R. Reno
- Metrical Discourses on Faith by the Blessed Mar Ephrem by Andrew Hayes
- St. John Chrysostom: Eight Sermons on Genesis
- Beginnings: Ancient Christian Readings of the Biblical Creation Narratives by Peter Bouteneff
- Baptismal Instructions by St. John Chrysostom
- Homilies on Genesis 1-17 by St. John Chrysostom
- Homilies on Genesis 18-45 by St. John Chrysostom
- Homilies on Genesis 46-67 by St. John Chrysostom
- John Chrysostom by Wendy Mayer and Pauline Allen